Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Flooding and a floating dock

Yesterday the pond in our back yard exceeded the 100 year flood plain and was scaring me as to how high the water came up into our backyard. Out of the six docks on our lake, only our dock and one other high one were still above the water, barely!! There was one dock, chairs and all, floating in the middle of the pond! Scary too is that we're on the high side of the lake at the far end from the dam and there are houses on that far side which from my first level I look into their second level, I hope that they didn't flood.

Picking Maisie up from school I had to do multiple detours as roads were being closed right and left due to flooding, mudslides or being completely washed away. Some school districts had canceled school because of the flooding and power outages and our county did an early release for the later students and canceled all after school activities. Maisie's ballet teacher called to cancel her class which was good because I wasn't venturing out again as it was just too dangerous. Eammon headed home early to help clear out some flooding that we were having in the front of our house which without intervention would flood our home. We're in for another full week of rain, I can't believe it, crazy I tell you, crazy!!

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:36 PM

    Lisa, thanks so much for posting this. I was worried about you and about to send you an email to find out how you were all doing. It is pretty flooded here right now, and we're about at the point where a canoe could go from the backyard to front without stopping. This is horrible and I am so hopeful, this finally ends soon. I never made it to work today because of road closures and from being up all night from the initial downpours that caused all of this.

    Take care, and please keep us posted.

    Ilene, Michael and April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes!!! I had no idea. Oh man, I hope the rain stops NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim O8:22 PM

    Wow! Looks just like what happened down here during spring break. So many homes flooded that had never even been near flooding in all the years that I lived here and my mom has lived here.
    Hopefully you will not have any damage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:42 PM

    Oh my heavens - be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! Be careful and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How scary. I hope the rain stops soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:03 AM

    Thinking about you guys and hoping all is well....Please let us know how you are.

    Lots of prayers and well-wishes headed to all of you south of us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO concerned! Please let us hear from you today! How is your family and then your house? I am 2 1/2 hours northwest of you. Please let us know!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you. Hoping it stops soon and you can dry out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been thinking of you and worrying. I was hoping you were not being effected. Obviously I was wrong. My heart goes out to you! Hang in there. Be safe. We hope things dry out soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails