Tuesday, July 18, 2006

So who is the incredible Kim Brown?

In a few posts I've made mention of the incredible Kim Brown, but nothing more. Well let me tell you about this girl. Kim lives in Utah with her husband Lee and their three beautiful daughters, Hillary, Madison and Grace. I met Kim through my August dtc group, as her family is also in the process of adopting a daughter from China and her name will be Pearl. I was the organizer of the August dtc secret pal swap and one day out of the blue a package arrived from Kim, thanking me for organizing the swap. The package contained a beautiful ladybug lanyard to hold my scissors when I sew or for when I was supposed to be working on Baby S's 100 Good Wishes Quilt.

She and I then started chatting back and forth through emails and she told me that she was making, as a gift for her secret pal, an 100 Good Wishes Quilt. Kim sent me a picture of her creation and it was absolutely beautiful! I told her that even though I had taken quilting lessons, there was no way I was going to be able to make Baby S's quilt. She then offered to make the quilt for us if I was interested. She does such beautiful work, I had to say yes please!! So off to Utah I sent a package containing 100 quilt squares along with a white on white fabric for the sashing and some super soft Minkee for the boarder. I loved the fabric that Kim had used on her pal's quilt and luckily she was able to get more of it so that it could also be used on the back of Baby S's quilt.

A couple of weeks ago a huge package, decorated with ladybugs, was delivered to my front door and it was from Kim and family. When I first opened the package, there were beautiful scrap book pages from Kim and the girls, they were all so sweet and the wish from Hillary made me cry. In the bottom of the box were five books for Baby S and one of them, A Quilt of Wishes, is even signed by the author.

(Click on images to enlarge)


I then opened up the quilt, (even though I can't seem to get a good picture) and I saw the most beautiful quilt in the world and I was overwhelmed! I look at the different squares and I think of the person who sent it and their wish for Baby S. I see how beautiful the overall quilt is and the detail work that went into it and I'm so grateful for the work, time, effort and love that Kim put into making this quilt.


(Click on images to enlarge)




In just a few short weeks I'll be traveling to Utah where I'll meet in person, for the first time, Kim and her family. I'm so excited to meet them all, I don't even have the words to express my feelings. Even though we live on opposite sides of the country, our families will always be connected in a big part because of Kim's generosity in making such a beautiful treasure for not only Baby S, but also for our family. Thanks Kim Brown, once again, you rock!!!

A big thank you to everyone who sent fabric and beautiful wishes for Baby S. We received just shy of 200 wishes and pieces of fabric, all of which will be going into Baby S's 100 Good Wishes Book. I look forward to the day when we'll be able to sit with Baby S, share all the good wishes with her and match the quilt squares to the wishes. Thank you!

24 comments:

  1. That quilt is absolutely gorgeous. I love the fabric on the back. Is that flannel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I just got my daughter's quilt back also.
    http://www.freewebs.com/zenochka/quilts.htm There's a pic on this website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!! What a wonderful friend! i am so glad that you will meet in person. A friend for life. :-)

    Colleen~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, that is the most beautiful 100 wish quilts I've EVER seen. Wonderful job! Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful lifelong friend you've met through the adoption process. The quilt is lovely and I know will be cherished by Baby Shanahan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow! That is just wonderful. She is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is just beautiful!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:15 AM

    Honestly Lisa, you are out of control! If only I had a blog to announce to the cyberworld about all the wonderful things you have done for me... I am happy that you love it, though!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the BEST 100 Wishes Quilt ever. I love it. What a treasure the quilt and the friendship is. Wow! I am so glad you will be meeting her in person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, she is incredible! Lucky you to have found such a generous and kind friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorrrrrrrgeous! Love it, just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, she did a fabulous job. The quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Incredible seems to be an understatment in relation to her. The quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I'm so glad you'll be able to meet each other in person very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is amazing, SHE is amazing. I can't wait to see the quilt live and in person.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh, I wasn't going to do a quilt, but that one makes me want to. Can I copy yours, because it is gorgeous?
    Truly, truly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lisa, the quilt is gorgeous!! What a beautiful job Kim did. The back with the pretty panda fabric was a perfect choice.

    It's so cool that you'll get to meet Kim next month!

    Donna :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't it amazing how this process brings people together to create lifelong friendships and supports. The quilt is beautiful and the story behind it makes it priceless. Great friend, great post.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's most beautiful.
    I see you are keeping the name a secret... ((wagging a finger)) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lisa, the quilt is beautiful! You know, some things are just priceless! Kim, you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your quilt is gorgeous. I love it and love the minky border! Can't wait to see it and person!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I haven't really been tempted to make one until I saw yours! Amazing!

    What a precious gift!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's absolutely beautiful! Kim and her pals did a great job. Is that baby S's name you've covered up??? Now you've got my curiousity peaked.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous7:43 PM

    What a beautiful keepsake for your daughter! You mentioned a 100 wishes book, what exactly is that?

    Alana

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails