Monday, October 23, 2006

So I cook...

Since there seems to be no news as to when referrals will arrive and it was our
first really cold day here in Atlanta, (OK it was in the 50's, but trust me that's cold!!) I decided to cook and make a nice hearty beef curry. Here it is served up in our new pottery from Barbados.

Also since I'm not yet staring endlessly at a picture of Baby S, I figured I'd pass along this wonderful recipe in case anyone else wants to make it, especially if you're trying to find ways to keep busy during the wait other than hitting the refresh button on the CCAA website.

First gather all your ingredients.
3 pounds well-trimmed boneless beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 large onions, sliced
12 whole cloves
8 large garlic cloves, chopped
3 cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
13.5 oz. can coconut milk
1/2 cup milk
6 plum tomatoes, cut into 8ths
5 tablespoons Major Grey chutney
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
6 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
3 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
salt & pepper

Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy Dutch oven over high heat. Working in batches, add beef to pot and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a plate.

Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the same pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until tender and brown, about 7 minutes.

Return the beef to the pot. Add cloves, garlic, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and dried red pepper to pot; stir 1 minute.

Stir in coconut milk, milk, tomatoes, chutney, lemon juice, ginger, curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beef is tender, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours.

Uncover and increase heat to medium. Boil stew until juices are slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. I serve this over jasmine rice.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring some news about referrals.

Enjoy!!

21 comments:

  1. OMG - This post is worthy of a professional cook book! Looks yummy too...
    Hoping for referral news soon - I know that's what you REALLY want to be posting about :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud at your post seeing as how I was on the CCAA site just before checking your blog. Your dinner looks delicious! Can't wait to see what's for breakfast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed! Nice cooking!!

    Hang in there... any day now!! : )

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm....sounds yummy. Love me some curry! C'mon referrals!

    I'd like to go on record guessing baby S is 11 months old and is waiting for you in Jianxi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool & professional photos! (Must be the stove)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I come over for dinner? Chat with you soon! Things have been crazy around here!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:37 AM

    Wow. Step by step instructions and photos. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Picture books... yay!!!
    I think you are totally getting this mom thing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouth is seriously watering!!! That looks deeeeeeeelicious! Hurry up referrals!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy, What time is dinner?
    I justed cooked stew for tomorrow when we get home from the hospital - but we could swing by your place and grab the leftovers!

    Hey - I looked at the rumor queen and Friday may be the day - for you guys and then Dan's list gets posted! Kiss the lucky dice!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you- we'll be trying it this weekend...looks and sounds so good!
    Meg
    come on referral- we need to see Baby S!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:51 AM

    who can't wait to try this recipe. I will be hitting refresh a great deal today, you have waited so long. My friend Figlet once told me that easy babies are ugly. Your baby is going to be a knockout.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh does that look and sound YUMMY! Doesn't help that I am starving right now. Thanks for sharing.

    NOW BRING ON THAT REFERRAL!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, the smells are coming through the computer! By the way, love the hand painted "M", I might need to copy that...too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No more cooking, bring on Baby S.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your step-by-step photos are such a bonus! You missed your calling as a cookbook editor!

    Glad you're keeping busy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmmm, I can almost smell it cooking from those pictures! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooh yummy! but i am sorry, this just won't cut it for me. bring on the referral!!!! i can't take it any longer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing! Looks nummy good.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing! Looks nummy good.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails