Tuesday, December 12, 2006

More Maisie

Yesterday afternoon we took a bus over to the Registration office where we received the babies around 2PM. On the way over we were told in which order the babies would be presented and it worked out that we were alphabetically last,
thus the last to receive our child. I had thought that the babies would be in a different room from us and brought in one by one, but when we got off the elevator on the fourth floor, right there were all the babies dressed identically, tooling
around in their walkers. Two babies were being held by the Nannies, one was asleep and the other wide awake, was Maisie. Well that's when I started crying, seeing her holding on to her Nanny. We watched as all the babies were presented and then it was finally our turn and Maisie just looked at us like she knew us and seemed OK with things. She didn't cry, whimper or make any noises at all, but she kept watching us and snuggling in close to us.

Wan Chun Miao's Chinese citizenship was revoked, a family picture was taken, we each put our fingerprints in red to seal the adoption and it was official, she is Maisie Miao Shanahan, our daughter.

We returned to the hotel, got her diaper changed, put on a new outfit and fed her a bottle as we waited for the doctor to come check on her. We knew it already, but the doctor confirmed that she is perfect. Currently her ears and chest are clear, no sign of congestion or a cold and her heart sounded good. She has good muscle strength, her hearing and vision seem good too.

We decided to go down to the hotel restaurant for dinner so I put Maisie in the hip hammock and we were off. I was pretty wiped out from the day as emotionally it was draining and though feeling much better, I'm still physically quite weak, so going downstairs for whatever they had sounded good. Eammon decided that he was going to try every item on the buffet including dog, yes dog!! I wasn't at all adventurous and stuck to grilled salmon, fruit and dessert. We fed Maisie her last bottle of the night at 9PM and then all of us went to bed. It took Maisie less than a minute to settle down in her crib with Eammon rubbing her back and she slept straight through until 7:30 this morning. Eammon and I though tossed and turned, were up for a couple of hours during the night talking, but Maisie slept like a champ.

She awoke this morning a very happy girl and wanted to be held and held and held. For her morning bottle, knowing that she'd be quite hungry, I tried out the U.S. bottles with the drop in liners and she was fine with them and drank down her entire bottle. Breakfast this morning was difficult to say the least. She was not going to sit in the highchair and only wanted her Mama. Needless to say, I ended up bring my plate to the room to have later in the day.

Today a tour of Chongqing was planned but I keep spiking a fever and it still hurts a lot when I breath so I decided to spend the day at the hotel with Maisie and sent Eammon off to see the sites. It was good that I didn't go as Maisie had a rough morning. She's starting to come out of her shell and showing a bit of her personality, but she's grieving. She'll be playing, playing, playing and then it's as though she gets a memory and starts to whimper and cry just a little. Once you hug her she stops, but the look, the whimper and the little bit of crying just come out of the blue. Today she's also being more vocal, making noises and she loves when we copy her and she'll look to both Eammon and I to mimic her. She also is starting to play with her toys, the favorite being an empty water bottle. She also likes these rings that are linked together, which she can hit the water bottle with, or her stuffed doll which has a rattle and makes noise when she hits the water bottle with it. She can stand and walk with help and she's a champ at crawling having us chasing after her at speed.

She just woke from her nap, and she's so cute how she sleeps with her bottom in the air. She's also a lot smaller than I had anticipated so tomorrow we'll probably go out and get her some clothes. Last night I had her in a 6 month sleeper which
she'll very soon outgrow and the outfit she's in today is a 6-9 mo. and it's almost a perfect fit, just a wee bit big. I think she's going to be a petite little girl. Her 12-18 mo. socks are huge but work well as knee socks. She'll probably be wearing 12 mo. shoes in the next month.

So far she's happy to go to both Eammon and I, with no real preference even when she's upset. Eammon still has yet to change a diaper but soon. She had her first poopy diaper this afternoon and Eammon realized that he won't have to go with a full biohazard suit and mask, it's just not that bad.

Thanks again for all the comments and emails, we've loved reading them all.

52 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:15 AM

    She is just so cute. It sounds as if she is adjusting well. She knows who her Mommy is!
    I am so sorry you are sick. That must be hard to manage with all the excitement. I am praying for you to get well. Thanks for sharing pic's of your sweet baby. It is nice to know about sizes too. I can't help but buy some stuff for baby Zizoo. Your sweetie looks so little. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh... she is gorgeous! Love the monkey pjs!!! Wow! No screaming - what a bonus!!! LOL! Bout Eammon and his biohazard suit!!! It's only poo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:27 AM

    Got up at 7AM to see what you had posted and how the first night went. She is soo cute!! Got her a size 4 Aruba shirt, do you want a smaller size?
    Everyone stopped over on the beach yesterday to read the updates Bea had printed and to drool over the picture. I'm sure they'll be waiting for me this morning.
    Glad she likes her litle book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your post. You don't know how much this means to me, to be able to be with you on your journey.

    Hugs to the most beautiful girl in the world!

    Bottoms up!!!
    --Mick

    ReplyDelete
  5. she really is beautiful! and I'm so glad you are feeling a bit better.......I'm sure Maisie is the best medicine a girl could ask for! Thanks for journaling all of this- it is amazing to watch it all happen.......happy family!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:33 AM

    She has hair!!! Love those cheeks, perfect for nibbling on. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is all just too perfect! Well..I guess if you weren't sick, it would be. I really hope you feel 100%..or at least 95% soon! She has hair! She's too cute for words and all 3 of you are blessed! I couldn't wait to check the blog this morning for all the tidbits. Thank you for sharing even when your feeling like poop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweetheart! I hope you are feeling better in the AM and that Maisie continues to enjoy her new Mama and Dad!!!

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is just adorable (as we knew she would be) and what a bonus that she is just as in love with you guys as you are with her, wow and so happy for you both.

    Keep the updates coming (we love living vicariously through others while we await our turn).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:11 AM

    ewttopamAAAAAAWWWWWW! She is absolutely adorable! She has hair! I was wondering how long you took to peek under her little hat to see if she had hair? Lisa, I'm so sorry you are still not feeling well!

    Hang in there, Kim Evans

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:13 AM

    Lisa, sorry about those letters in the beginning of my post! That was the word verification to publish my post! OOPS! LOL!

    Kim Evans

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at that hair! She's just beautiful and it seems like you are adapting to parenthood like a champ. Every day we love reading how things are going and are learning lots from you guys! Brent and Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:29 AM

    She is beautiful and she has hair! I am so happy for you two...enjoy this time, bonding with your precious daughter. I know the wait has been long!

    Hope you are feeling 100% soon - cuddling with that sweet baby will help I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. She has hair!!!!! Maisie is just adorable, so glad to hear things are going well and that she's adjusting to this life-altering change. Thanks for the pics - she's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. She's perfect! What a sweetie! Thank you for blogging this journey for the rest of us, it is wonderful to share this with you. I am sorry to hear how sick you are, take care & get well soon.

    Tracy & Tom
    LID 6/8/06

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a perfect fit for your family!!! She is a doll but sooooo small!!! Can't wait to hear and see more Maisie!!! SO cute she snuggles and wants her mama and baba. Hope you get over this sickness so very soon!!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is adorable! Thanks so much for the update. So happy to hear that you are all doing well.

    Keep smilin!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow. she is so tiny! just itty bitty. keep the pictures coming, we love them. sounds like things are going well. take it easy, and take care of mmommy too. gotta kick that fever! love the monkey on thejammie bottom by the way, so cute.

    Cindy and Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maisie is precious! It is wonderful to see her with her parents! Happy Family! Lisa, I hope you feel better soon.
    Enjoy this special time in China.
    Michaela

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course she's perfect!! Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful post! I'm so happy for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Lisa, what a little sweetheart! Maisie is so beautiful.

    It sounds like she has the exact same temperment as our Charlotte when she joined us. She was quiet, curious, came to us readily and loved to be hugged. Slept through the night every night, which will be awesome for you. Soon she will be smiling up a storm. You are truly blessed.

    You take care of yourself. Maisie needs her Mama healthy.

    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  22. She is beautiful. I think it's wonderful that she's bonding to her new family so well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. She has hair! AND she's gorgeous! Congratulations you guys!! I love the pic with her little butt in the air. She looks so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Lisa, she is absolutely wonderful! I teared up at the comment you included - she recognized you - how beautiful!. That is wondrful that she is sleeping and taking a bottle from you guys! I am so glad that she is well and healthy. I know that we have said it a million times - but we can hardly wait to meet her in person. What a lucky girl she is to have you and Eammon!

    Hurry home!
    Dan, Debbie, Ian & Miss LiLi

    ReplyDelete
  25. She's even cuter with hair...what a little doll!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lisa - I love the pictures. Maisie is so lovely...and with hair ;0)

    I want YOU, mama, to feel better andd be able to enjoy more!

    Of course, mentioning the dog on the buffet assured I may lose a little more weight.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous9:52 AM

    Absolutely adorable. I'm telling you, she's a snuggler - you could tell from the first picture of her you posted. You and Eammon need to get used to her giving you hugs and snuggles.

    Feel better soon. Though I think you might be happier being with Maisie all day in the room and having her to yourself.

    Judy B.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Maisie is so very cute! Those moments of temporary sadness must pull your heart strings. I do hope you and Eammon are back to full good health soon.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much for sharing with us about your time in China. It's so nice to hear how things really are so we can prepare ourselves for when it's our turns. Your Maisie is beautiful! I'm looking forward to watching her blossom now that she has her Momma and Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ahhhh...I love Maisie. She looks so adorable. Can't wait to squeeze her(: Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  31. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! She is such a cutie. I just love the little bum sticking up while sleeping. I remember watching your blog when you first got referral and now you're there. How exciting!!! I can't wait to be in that exact moment.

    :-)
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, what a cutie! I am glad she is adjusting well! Hope you feel better real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Loving the photos Lisa! She is absolutely beautiful. I love how she sticks her butt in the air while she's sleeping. And it sounds like she's doing all the right things. I'm sorry to hear you're sick. Take care of yourself and tell Eammon diaper duty will make him stronger (ha, :) ).

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations!!!! I cannot believe I missed Family Day yesterday. But I am so glad for this update and to know that things are progressing well.

    Hope you're feeling better Mama! So, so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous12:56 PM

    Thank you for sharing yur first moments with us. It was really nice to ready. I just knew she would have hair when you got her!

    ReplyDelete
  36. She is so tiny and perfect! Great pictures. Sorry your not feeling well. Pace yourself and take frequent rest periods with Maisie,

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just can't get enough! I am so thrilled that she seems to be doing so well. I know its not the end all end all with her grieving, but she is obviously so comfortable with you two, and that certainly makes a difference! Sizes are good, and I am glad that I didn't go the clothes route with her welcome hoem gift. See ya soon! I'm keepin' up with ya'!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awww, what a sweet lil' gal! She is adorable and it sounds like she is bonding well to both you.

    Congrats again and enjoy your time in China!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh Lisa! She is so amazing! Keep updating us on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  40. She is even more perfect - more beautiful!
    I meant to tell you that you looked beautiful in the family day photo, Lisa. Motherhood is very becoming on you!
    It sounds like things are going pretty good. She is mourning, but sounds like she is a trooper!
    oh - and tell E to stay away from dog!!!! YUK!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Maisie is absolutely adorable. I am so glad to hear things are going so well. I love the 'monkeu' butt - too cute! Enjoy being a family of three.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lisa:

    She is adorable and you both sound like old pros already. So happy for you. Congrats again!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous7:53 PM

    Lisa and Eammon,
    I couldn't help but cry tears of joy at the Family Day picture and more maisie.. I have a lump in my throat and am just thrilled for all of you. Glad all is going well. See you soon.
    Love,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  44. She is just beautiful! I hope you are feeling better soon. Paul will tell Eammon that there are some days the bio hazard suit is needed!

    Let me know if the sun shines while you are in Chongqing...it only did one day when we were there in June.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Awww, she is sooo precious!! Congratulations Eammon and Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  46. OMG! She is adorable!! Love the "monkey butt" shot! Hee hee!

    Can't wait for more updates!!

    Julie :o)

    ReplyDelete
  47. I am so happy for you. Maisie is just beautiful. I enjoy hearing about all of the details of your trip. Enjoy! Karen E

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh my, I am tearing up just reading this. Amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  49. What a cutie!!! Looks like she is healthier than you are (LOL). Hope the antibiotics are starting to work and you start to feel better soon.

    Love that little tush up in the air, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love seeing all these photos. Keep 'em coming! Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous8:58 AM

    Congratulations! I love, love the picture of her sleeping with her rump in the air. Sydney is almost 2 and she still sleeps like that sometimes, usually when she isn't feeling well and is seeking extra comfort. You have a beautiful daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love the way she sleeps and those monkey pajamas- how cute!!!

    It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with her! The fact that she prefers Mommy's lap to the highchair is a very good sign!

    I am over the moon happy for you!
    xoxo, Shana :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails